Friday, August 24, 2012

Tattoos

beautiful back piece tattoo
Beautiful back piece by Den Yakovlev
 from Negative Karma
Hello out there. Today I do not have an exact topic to talk about so I am going to fall back on one that is near and dear to me. Tattoos. Those of you who know me well also know that I have several tattoos and that they are all nicely done and tasteful. I got everyone of my tattoos while on Active Duty with the Marines AND I stayed within regulations for them all.



One fateful morning my command, in all of their infinite wisdom, decided to have everyone in my battery come to the office at one time to have scars, tattoos, and other identifying marks entered into their Service Record Book (SRB). This is a perfectly legit action, if they would have done it in small groups. Anyways, fast-forward a couple of years and now I am married with four more tats.I get out of the Marines do the college thing, it sucks, I try to get back in, need a tattoo waiver, only to find out that my SRB is magically devoid of anything mentioning the tats on my forearms. That page of my SRB is probably in the same folder as all the proof I need for my VA claim, which also magically got lost.

Awesome ribcage piece.
Anatomical Art by Justin Buduo
I have been lucky in the fact that I have not been subjected to the religious nonsense that some folks have towards tattoos (yeah, you fundies with the secret tattoo of the little stick-man pushing a lawnmower over your pubes) because just about everyone in my family has them. They understand that we are not getting them as a way to stand out but a way to express out. I have seen some pretty stupid tats, however, if that person decided to get that tattoo because of a certain way it made them feel, memory it brought back, or because they thought it unique; then it doesn't really matter a damn bit what I think because they like it.

Jonathan Wade gave this woman
beautiful piece of art to have for
the rest of her life.
Next time you see a tattooed individual I want you to truly look at the art of it. Look at the time and effort that the tattoo artist, because that is what they are, put into the piece. Just like a painter he thought this out, he varies his technique for different ways of getting the ink onto the canvas, but unlike the painter, if he messes up he cannot just wad up the canvas and throw it away. All of the pictures came from Tattooed Women and links to all of the artists/shops are in the captions.

That is all for now, I gotta try to get some actual work done, until I can get a big sponsor and enough money coming in from my blog and quit work. Oh well life for the working man goes on, which might just be the topic for the next post.

How many tattoos do you have? Let me know in the comments along with any ideas you have that you would like to see me right about.
I had to put this one is after because,
well because I like it and I can
ArtCoreTattoo




4 comments:

  1. "They understand that we are not getting them as a way to stand out but a way to express out"

    I agree 100% with this. I love tattoo's. I want some and plan to get some. But I can't just throw anything onto my body. Tattoos, to me, aren't just something you get because you want a tattoo, they are like a bookmark in the story of your life. Something that will trigger a reminder like " My mother is/was such a great woman, I love her, I miss her and I need to think about what she would want me to do in my current situation". Or in your case, Scott, I didn't get to see all of your tattoos but you may have one that reminds you of your time in the corps. Things like that are meaningful, they remind you of where you were and where you are now or to keep you on track to where you're going.

    I don't want to down anyone's idea on their personal ink, but when i see people with black stars all over them..i just don't get it? I agree, they are cool looking..they are nice. But what significance do these stars have on your life? To me this screams out "i have a tattoo just because i wanted a tattoo".

    I have some tattoo ideas in mind and i know to some other people they won't make sense or may seem stupid. But the idea of a tattoo is 100% "a picture is worth a thousand words". If you don't have a story behind a tattoo besides "yeah i thought it looked awesome" then i don't understand imprinting it on your body for life.

    You should add some pics and stories behind all of your tattoos in future blog, Scott. Keep the blogs coming!

    -Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shawn,

      Thanks for stopping by. I actually really like your bookmark analogy, I have heard it similar to that but not in those words. I can see your point, and I kind of agree but on the same token I can see the black star tattoos as a "I was rebelling against something but now I am over that but will always remember" or "wow, I got it because it looked cool but it opened up my world to body art and body modification." Still a story I guess.

      I was going to post some pictures of mine but all of the pictures I have handy were for me to try to get my tattoo waiver, which means they have hands and tape measures beside of them. I will get some good ones up here.

      Delete
    2. I see your point there. Goes back to what you said, i suppose "if that person decided to get that tattoo because of a certain way it made them feel, memory it brought back, or because they thought it unique; then it doesn't really matter a damn bit what I think because they like it" . If it does have its personal meaning to that individual, who am i to judge. I just feel they should all have a good meaning. Then again, the simple fact that tattoos can be beautiful art open up a huge group of people who could get them for the love of art.

      Haha, the more I think about this the more I can truly understand why tattoos can be so controversial and debated for so long. In my personal opinion I think I'll leave with I'm going to get ink on what is important to me, what will remind me why i do the things i do and something I can tell a story about.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, it really can go on forever. Since I enjoy arguing I would love to get someone on here who is deathly against tattoos. That would tickle me to death.

    Get whatever you want, everyone else be damned, as long as you know what it means to you; that is all that matters. I think my next one might actually be a moto Marine tat. Waiting on that money.

    ReplyDelete